Quick Review:Recently one of the parent’s sent me an email asking for an app that her kid can read as much as he can and get help when he needs some. She wants her kid to be able click on a word that he had trouble with and have the app read it aloud.. There are several book apps available that meets the criteria but this one is different. It not only reads out loud the words but they can also record their entire story and parents can play it back at anytime. . This will help the parents/teachers to listen to the reading and suggest corrections. The books are not just stories but are leveled reading books. There is reading comprehension at the end of the book so you know how much they actually understood the material. The one we reviewed is ‘Humpback whale’. It had stunning photographs and the content is not babyish but for a serious reader. Overall an excellent book app to check especially when they 2 awesome books that come with app for FREE. Read the long list of features that are outlined by the developer below.
- Able to lookup the meaning/definition of the word from the dictionary for the words that are difficult for the student
Booksy is a learning-to-read platform for young kids. It is designed from the ground up to help young children, Pre-K through 2nd grade, practice and develop their reading skills. This edition comes with two FREE books.
Booksy is at its heart a library of age appropriate level-readers. But it is so much more. Booksy has amazing features that make learning to read simple and fun. And, it includes powerful tools for parents and teachers to track kids’ progress.
Think of it as training wheels for books. It gives kids independence and security while providing help and support.
Watch them glow with pride as they are able to read by themselves, earn stars, awards and trophies while learning about great science topics.
• Kids can tap on ANY word to have it read out loud. Not just the whole page, but the words they find difficulty.
• Adults can track kids’ progress in the Parental Dashboard
⁃ Know which words need reinforcement
⁃ Learn how long they take to read each book
⁃ Receive emails with recordings of their reading efforts (optional)
• Awesome content: level-readers on science topics—not just of literacy, but of science literacy!
⁃ Written by experts and PhDs
⁃ Beautiful full-color images and illustrations
⁃ Appropriate word count for beginning readers
⁃ Books are only $0.99 (USD)!
• Stars, awards and trophies keep kids engaged and coming back for more. Kids get:
⁃ Stars for every book they finish
⁃ Awards for reading all the books
⁃ Awards for reading everyday
⁃ Awards for taking the reading comprehension quizzes
• Simple in-app bookstore to satisfy kids’ curiosity and reading voracity.
• Quizzes foster not just mechanics of reading but content comprehension.
• Up to 3 users can be tracked in this editions (School Edition coming within weeks!)
This free edition includes two complete books:
✓ Humpback Whales! Level 1 Reader (250-300 words)
by Mya Thompson, PhD from Cornell University
✓ Hello Bunny! Level 0 Reader (50-100 words)
Booksy Books now available for in-app purchase:
✓ Emperor Penguins!
✓ Solar System!
✓ In a Jam!
LEVEL 1 (250-300 words, simplified structures, for readers who are beginning to venture into reading on their own)
✓ Pocket Animals
LEVEL 0 (50-100 words, repetitive structures and words for kids who are just starting to read)