Splingo – Excellent app to teach comprehension & following directions
Note: This review is co-authored by Techinspecialed along with an SLP.
- Different complexity levels that can be set by therapist/teacher/parent on main screen
- Variety of instructions/tasks within the level (i.e. not all instructions are “find the ____”)
- Nice mix of basic concepts are addressed
- Option to have written instructions
- Cute animations that are engaging for children
- The quick start goes in to the Level 1 for all sections. At first I didn’t understand what is this app is trying to teach until I went to the setup and picked the options. After that it is a smooth sail.
- The character’s voice isn’t ideal for students who might have auditory processing issues
- Very slow rate of speech for the instructions
- Would be nice if the rocket puzzle had the option of more accurate placement of pieces (to target fine motor skills)
- Nice have multi user functionality so therapists/teachers can keep track of score by student
- Open the settings every time with what the user defaulted last time and put start button there. so if I want I will change or it will go straight to where I left off
- Remove the quick start and on first install, ask the settings and then use what the user set automatically.
Overall impression: Great app to teach Nouns, verbs, propositions, Adjectives. It also iPad capabilities to allows students to manipulate items.