Jungle Coins – Best app to teach coins/money
|Checkout FREE apps on this site.||Like us on Facebook.|
Jungle Coins – is an app to teach coins for the elementary school kids. It has several modules within it. Learn module introduces the coins to the kids. It has some facts about the coins like who is on the head and what is on the tail etc.. Kids can flip the coins to see the other side if they want to.
The find module users will follow instructions and move coins to the right. They will have plenty of practice with these as the questions are randomly generated so there is no limit on the number of questions.
In count the student is presented with a set of coins and student has to count coins and use the counter below to answer the questions.
Compare – In this one students does counting on both sides and does the compare.
Correct Change- Real world word problems. Students were given a problem with the amount paid and the cost. Student needs to move the correct change to the right side.
Students can flip to see the other side of the coin if they are in doubt and they can move the coins in to groups so they can calculate the sum easily.
- This app is designed not only for US coins but also for other currencies. You can learn coins from other locales, e.g. British Pound, French Euro, Japanese Yen, etc., and learning coin math with different currencies is a lot of fun.
- There 5 levels so you can teach two coins at a time if you need to. ABA therapists will love this feature.
- Animals can be changed
- jungle backgroud sounds can be turned off – Very nice feature for special needs kids if they get annoyed you can turn it off.
- Ability to track multiple students
- Voice instructions – Per develepoer this is in the works.
- During the find Hightlight the coin to be found (ex: Slide all the ‘Dimes‘ to the right this will help special needs children)
- In ‘Comare’- it will be nice if developer can add the counter they have in count area to both sides of comparison. This way they can do the count and compare. This is how you do in real world and they will have a place holder to store what they counted.
This is a well thought out application by an incredibly intelligent developer. Interacted with developer several times before the review and he has done his research and developed this application. It is definitely a good app if your kid is currently learning coins or if it is in your IEP goals. The app is kind of pricey ($2.99) for an app but well below the flashcards we buy.
- Counting Coins By K12 Inc. - Good for older kids but it is FREE.
Designed for the iPad, Jungle Coins is an incredibly easy, fun and interactive app that teaches kids coin math in a visual way, taking full advantage of the iPad’s large screen and HD quality.
Usability tested with kids ages 5 and up, Jungle Coins has proven to be tremendously effective at teaching kids coin math. Kids can identify coins and count money within minutes of play.
Easy to Use
● Easy to read, large, photo-real coins make learning coins a breeze.
● Flip coins to see both sides
● Rearrange coins into groups just like you would with real coins
● Just tap Shake for a new problem.
Fun and Interactive
● Animals come alive with smiles and roars as kids work through problems.
● Choose from many jungle animals and their sounds, including a Lion, Tiger, Elephant, Hippo, and Panda.
● The jungle theme, complete with animations, animal roars and sound effects, truly immerses kids in a deep and alive jungle.
● Get a jungle congratulation when you solve 5 in a row.
● No multiple choice means no guesswork – kids have to know the correct answer.
● Some apps just give you a limited set of problems – Jungle Coins lasts an eternity with fresh problems every time.
● Identify and Compare coins.
● Count coin value
● Reinforce coin skills by calculating correct change.
● Track progress with your Score. Parents/Teachers love this to see how kids are doing.
● Multiple levels of difficulty make learning fun and challenging. Start as a beginner with Level 1 – it only presents low denominations for easier coin math. Work your way up to an expert level with all coin denominations.
● Learn gives you an interactive tutorial on understanding each coin. It explains who is on each coin, and lets you flip coins to see both sides.
● Jungle Coins makes it easy to switch to other coin sets instantly and challenge you with unfamiliar coins.
(United States coin images from the United States Mint)
(Euro coin images copyright European Central Bank)
Andrew Short is a member of Moms with Apps, a collaborative group of family-friendly developers seeking to promote quality apps for kids and families.
Recommended Ages: 4-7, 8-10, 11-12
Categories: Early Learning, Counting, Numbers, Math, Addition, Counting, Money, Subtraction, Special Needs